Saturday 7 November 2015

Hometown Darwin

I've been here that long it's starting to feel like home! 


Lazy summer days in Darwin!

days. . Days of palm trees, sunshine, swimming. Reading in the park. Days of acclimatising. Of getting to feel at home. Understanding how Australia works. Familiarity of the town, the bird chirp from the pedestrian crossing, the amusing abbreviated English.

The "wet" hasn't come yet. . It's early November. . I heard the locals expect it to be late this year.  Bonfire night back home. . No fireworks here. .

Bike arrived Thursday. . I want to unravel it from the port authorities. have it back.  Customs fees, port charges, quarantine inspections. Compulsory insurance. Paperwork. . Paperwork. . And more. . Paperwork.

Middle of next week before I grasp it from the official clutches. I'm being processed.

Big rumbles of thunder. .maybe I spoke too soon

But it came to nothing. unlike the east coast that being battered by storms. Maybe the delay was meant to be.

One day after the container ships arrival and not unexpectedly no update from the port authorities. It's going to be next week. I'm resigned to that. I hope to be on the road before the weekend. It will be good to do so. It seems like a long long time since I had to travel.
The "break" in the bay of Thailand was planned. . This stationary time in Darwin . . Though not unpleasant, wasn't.

I feel the call of the wild. . The escape from civilisation. Gazing at uninterrupted stars with nothing to do except ride. Rest. Experience the distance. Feel the isolation and perhaps share an understanding with like minded travellers.

It's what has made this whole venture worthwhile. Adventure. Experience. Outside of normal understanding. . .

A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions.

My mind is set to apply that feeling to day to day life. It's what makes me feel alive. It makes normality worthwhile and common concerns trivial.

We all have a whole world to visit. To explore and to see and yet so many of us choose take the safe option. Plan for a future that none of us actually know is actually there.
I've said it before but human life is short with no guarantees. If you live to healthy old age to spend your pension then that safe option was the right one. But . . .

The red light is stale. The amber light is about to illuminate. The starting blocks are calling ..  .

Aussies do like a joke !

No comments: