Friday 5 June 2015

And Greece is the way we are feeling. . .

An overnight ferry bound for Patras proved an entertaining evening . . .

With a troupe of hells angels from all points of the compass drinking the journey through. . . Still with pint of lager in hand early in the morning.  . . . "Brother"!

Chill out guys life isn't a competition.

So a shaded campsite at €10 a night is my introduction to Greece. . The cheapest night so far. . At least they are still in the euro , which given that I have a reserve of euros with me is a good thing! Wasn't sure they would be by the time I got here. . .

I need to press on a bit as my kazakhstan visa starts on the 13th of July and I need to be at the Russian border for the start of that visa at the beginning of August to have enough time to get to Vladivostock before it expires. . .
so a limited time to get through Greece, Turkey, Georgia and Azerbaijan. . .

One thing I was trying to avoid was to be tied to deadlines on this journey, but the need for visas has made that a necessity. . That the way of it so I just have to suck it up and go with the flow. . .

Just need to cover some miles. .  .Sadly my supposed tyre supplier . . (Rhyme by mistake) has informed me he can't get the tyres I wanted to cross Kazakhstan now. . And seeing as I sold the pair I had before I left rather than carry them across Europe leaves me with a bit of a dilemma. . . The tyres I've got, I am now confident will last until Istanbul. . Quite a recommendation for a "rain" tyre given the heat they've been subjected to. . .I'll publish they're finishing mileage once I know it. . .

But for now a bottle of cheap red, some strange spicy olive paste and crusty bread makes life sweet. . .

It's gonna get hotta!

Quick publish of this post at a cafe with WiFi. . .It has got hotter! Over 30° today. . I'm seriously considering how I can travel without so much of the bike gear at the moment. . . Safety is important but so is being able to concentrate without being boiled alive. . I need to find a balance. Greece seems easier than Italy so far. . The drivers aren't quite as mad. . Just the sun is fierce at midday and I needed to find some shade. . I think I will need to travel earlier in the day and later in the afternoon. . . I could do with a couple of nights in one spot to find my feet a bit. . .

"It's all Greek" now has a whole new meaning. . Luckily English is spoken almost everywhere so far. . Efharisto!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oi Mark, we're sitting here at work singing that song now!! Glad to see all going well - looking forward to your next updates! Best wishes from John W, Jeanette M, Clare W